miércoles, 11 de diciembre de 2013

Providence decides and we must oblige…

All the runners were already at the Cook Convention Center for the expo, excited and ready to go, when the city of Memphis and race officials decided to cancel the marathon. I was so bummed out because I’ve wanted to run St Jude for a very long time. There is always next year! Frozen trees, ice on the roads, combined with light rain and very low temperatures were all sensible and judicious reasons to cancel the event. Safety first, right!

I made my way back home the next day and decided late Saturday night to head to Baton Rouge the next morning to run the Woman’s Hospital Half Marathon. With only two hours of sleep but determined to put all my good training to use, I arrived early to register with my St Jude bib, got a special discount, and ran my fastest half ever. It helps also to run with friends who encourage and challenge me to do my best.

I am taking a break from running this week to recover mainly from all the travel and to focus on finishing the semester’s work; a week of final exams still in progress and lots of grading to be done. 

With a semester’s work almost behind, 'tis the season to be jolly and my schedule is already down packed with social events, including some cooking and party hosting at my new place. Gatherings of friends, raucous laughter, great food, libations, music and dance, a visit to St Louis Cathedral, Christmas concerts, and the reckoning of my faith; I can almost officially say that the holiday season has arrived. 
The dynamic trio

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario