domingo, 5 de abril de 2015

Two weeks to my first Boston Marathon

This is what I am looking forward to the most this week: one 60-minute deep tissue massage with 15-minute application of moist heat @ The Bailey Institute Of Muscular Therapy. Oh yeah, baby!

Two weeks before my first Boston Marathon and I am struggling with a very tight and achy hamstring. I skipped my runs for the last two days and went swimming and biking instead. It all started last Sunday during my long 23 mile run. My right calf and right hamstring were feeling tight early that morning. I stopped a few times during the run to stretch my right leg and made it through the run just fine. I got home and rushed to start getting things ready for my road trip to Austin, Texas.  Because I was distracted I neglected to stretch after my long run– a big no-no after running for so long (almost a marathon). The next day I drove 8 hours straight to Austin. It was a relaxing drive but my hamstring was feeling tighter and tighter. I made it to Austin and went for a 9 mile run early the next day. I felt a bit of pain but ignored it and went about my business of sightseeing and having fun with friends. The next day I did my hill training and by Thursday my leg was bothering me even more. Still, I pushed through one last 10-mile run in Austin, and the next day I drove 8 hours straight back to New Orleans. I had a BLAST but I was not kind to my body. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope the achy hamstring does not become a major hindrance in Hopkinton on Patriots’ Day.  

I take so many liberties with my body because it feels so young. Yes, I am a middle-aged woman with a body that feels half my age. I am lucky but I must be more careful as I age; that I know. I hope a deep tissue massage two weeks before the race loosens me up a bit. 

More to come about my Boston bound experience. I returned to FB and will be posting pictures of my Boston-bound journey from there… 

Happy Easter Sunday! 

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario