jueves, 14 de mayo de 2015

Do I believe in some divine power and in some evil power?

I did most of my life until it no longer made sense to me, at least not the way I was taught to believe. But I still believe: I believe in the power of love, in the intrinsic goodness of humans, and the numerous acts of selfless kindness I see in the world. I don’t have to call that a divine power but if poetic reason licenses us to think that to err is human and to love divine, it follows that, along with our propensity to err, we are also very much inclined to love and to show kindness; therein lies what I like to label the divine. Moreover, I think that we cannot escape the divine because we cannot escape the goodness that’s intrinsically in us. But when humans do escape love or are not encouraged to tap into it and are not themselves loved, the opposite side of it, namely our propensity to err (if I may label "err" bad or evil in its incipient form) could overtake us.

The evil we see in the world is also part of our intrinsic human dichotomy, but good and bad have to operate together. What happens is that in the absence of these favorable and ‘divine’ human responses: forgiveness, goodness, kindness and love, evil often flourishes in the likes of acts of greed, selfishness, cruelty, etc. If we want to overcome evil and keep it at bay, even our own evil, and most importantly, if we want to eradicate the greed, selfishness and cruelty in our world, then our own intrinsic divine power to love and to show kindness must be expressed and enacted daily, even in the most menial places of our existence. Go ye therefore and love thy neighbor as yourself. And who is thy neighbor? Family, friends, acquaintances, the entire human race, nature and animals alike; in that intrinsic power to love, there is no discrimination. Amen.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario