viernes, 7 de febrero de 2014

Cheerful friends along the route


What a week! But then again every week seems to be uniquely challenging and busy. It’s nice to be home drinking a cup of hot Adagio green tea, the most restoring tea ever, courtesy of a beloved Balkan friend. I plan to get to bed early tonight and sleep in tomorrow morning (for a change), provided my dog cooperates, and she does if I let her hop in bed with me in the wee hours of morning. Something we do sparingly.
I am feeling physically fine and strong, even after running a full marathon last Sunday. Today I went for a 4-mile run and am slowly getting back into my running routine. As for the race, I was very pleased with my results. Even though I fell short of my goal—to qualify for Boston, I took comfort in knowing that I shaved off 33 minutes from my last marathon and that is a huge PR. I am not too far from my Boston goal and will try again soon.
But what I loved most about the race was to see so many of my friends out there, cheering me on along the course on St Charles Ave, Esplanade Ave, City park Ave, Marconi Dr, Lakeshore Dr, and some were waiting for me at the Park. I smiled every time I encountered a different group and felt like the most fortunate runner out there. I was in such fine company all the way from start to finish. Then the atmosphere of the race, the music, the hundreds of spectators, and the other fine runners make this experience so complete. I love this race because New Orleans knows how to do it best!
Now I am turning my full attention to other major responsibilities as I continue to plan for this year’s conferences, papers, travels, writing and publishing, teaching, and on and on with the world of academia. That’s why I need to rest well and that’s why running is so important to me; it keeps me sane and balanced!
Good night my dear blog readers!

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario